Oh snaps.

Welcome to the internets. Where most of you spend countless hours during the week. We get paid to sit in front of the computer and pretend to do work, but really, we're finding out what Lindsay Lohan had for breakfast and googling awkward pictures of cats. Here's a toast (a blog toast because drinking is NOT allowed during work...) to all of you 40 hours a week craftsmen. Because let's be honest, we are all craftsmen. Do you know how hard it is to quickly exit a facebook browser?

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rice?

It's no secret that I love rice.  I love rice because I am Asian.  Asians eat rice like white people eat potatoes.  We can eat if for days!  And for every meal! 

Last night Corey invited me to her house for dinner.  She told me she makes the BEST fried rice ever. As an Asian, I was very skeptical.  Who does this white girl think she is?! I knew it got awkward when she asked me if I even liked fried rice.  Umm...

Then...she takes out of a BOX with bags of rice.  She looks at me says "This is how white people cook rice!"  Oh  HELLLLLLLL NO.  Again, a little skeptical.



This is how the rice was cooked.  Which was kind of shocking.  I mean, I'm used to my mom  having a rice dispenser, cleaning the rice, having a rice cooker and having the rice be perfectly cooked within minutes.  And I've seen my non-Asian friends cook rice in a stove top - boiling the rice, then reducing the heat, but don't EVER lift the lid to see what's going on! There are secrets in there and you will commit rice suicide if you lift that lid!! (I can still hear my ex girlfriend yelling at me that I ruined the rice because I lifted the fucking lid). 

But Corey, sweet sweet Corey takes out a baggie of rice from a Box and puts 2 little baggies in a boiling pot.  In ten minutes, she removes the baggies and dumps the rice out.  ...Wait, that's it?  That's boxed rice?  Baggies and boiling?  That's it? 

To my surprise, the fried rice was excellent.  Corey added onions, red bell peppers, carrots, etc.  All of this from boxed rice!  I am shocked!  Well Corey--you made a believer out of me. 

Oh the best part was that we had pizza with our fried rice.  WHO ARE WE??