Oh snaps.

Welcome to the internets. Where most of you spend countless hours during the week. We get paid to sit in front of the computer and pretend to do work, but really, we're finding out what Lindsay Lohan had for breakfast and googling awkward pictures of cats. Here's a toast (a blog toast because drinking is NOT allowed during work...) to all of you 40 hours a week craftsmen. Because let's be honest, we are all craftsmen. Do you know how hard it is to quickly exit a facebook browser?

Monday, December 6, 2010

I Invented the Snuggie


Ah, the Snuggie. Everyone's heard of it. You probably have friends who own one. Hell, you probably own one. How could we forget the renowned TV Infomercial with everyone's favorite family warm and cozy in their fleece Snuggies, demonstrating how warm and cozy a Snuggie really is? There is a Snuggie for EVERYTHING. You can get a Snuggie in your college colors, a Christmas Snuggie and even an Oudoor Snuggie . There is even a Snuggie for you and your baby to stay warm!

Scott Boilen, who some have dubbed "Mr. Snuggie," is the CEO of all-things-Snuggie. And I'm sure we can re-name him "Money-bags" considering the incredible success the Snuggie has seen in recent years. This guy is probably loaded. He's probably sitting on his fancy leather sofa in his gigantic fancy house flipping though the channels of his big-screen HD TV wearing a Snuggie made of gold. Well, ladies and gentleman, Scott Boilen is a fraud.

I invented the Snuggie. Way back when I was asked to come up with an invention to share with my 5th grade GATE class. GATE was Gifted and Talented Education, a little program I was part of when I was younger. I guess they saw something in me, high expectations for a bright future. Well, it could have been a very bright future if Scott Boilen didn't find some way to completely jack my 5th grade invention.

Here is how it went down: I realized one day as I was laying on the couch, reading a book, that my arms were cold. An idea came to me and I promptly began to cut a sweatshirt in half and sew it to a blanket. Voila! I had just created my invention for my GATE project. Its name? The 'Sl-Blank' (Sleeve-Blanket), pronounced "SLABLANK."

You can imagine my surprise a few years later upon seeing that godforsaken Snuggie Commercial. That was my idea! Granted, they really 1-upped me on the name. The 'Sl-blank' ???? I know, it was stupid, and "Snuggie" is a great name. BUT REALLY-I could be that guy!

But now, instead of rolling around in the money that could be mine, I am desperately trying to find some relation to this Scott Boilen character so I can sue him like those Winklevoss twins sued Mark Zuckerberg over Facebook. They got a reported 65-million dollar pay out. I want.

Until then, I will revel in what could have been. And blog about it.

Teach me how to Snuggie